Skip to content

Can Dogs Eat Mouldy Cheese?

No, Mouldy cheese, regardless of its type, should be strictly avoided when it comes to canine consumption. Although dogs are omnivores and can tolerate certain types of dairy products, mouldy cheese poses significant risks to their health.

Is Mouldy Cheese Toxic to Dogs?

Yes, mouldy cheese can be toxic to dogs. Mould growth on cheese occurs due to the presence of fungi, which produce mycotoxins. Mycotoxins are toxic compounds that can cause a range of health problems when ingested. The exact type and level of toxicity depend on the specific mould strain and the quantity consumed.

The Risks & Side Effects of Feeding Dogs Mouldy Cheese

Feeding dogs mouldy cheese can lead to various risks and side effects, including:

  1. Gastrointestinal Disturbances: The consumption of mouldy cheese can irritate a dog’s digestive system, leading to symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, and abdominal discomfort.
  2. Toxicity Symptoms: Depending on the type and amount of mould consumed, dogs may exhibit symptoms like lethargy, loss of appetite, excessive drooling, tremors, seizures, and even organ damage.
  3. Allergic Reactions: Dogs can develop allergies to specific mould strains present in cheese. Allergic reactions may manifest as itching, rashes, hives, swelling, or difficulty breathing.
  4. Mycotoxin Poisoning: Mycotoxins in mouldy cheese can cause severe poisoning in dogs. Symptoms of mycotoxin poisoning include neurological issues, liver damage, jaundice, and in severe cases, even death.

Signs of Mouldy Cheese Poisoning in Dogs

Common symptoms to watch out for include:

  1. Vomiting and Diarrhea: Dogs may experience frequent episodes of vomiting and loose stools.
  2. Lethargy and Weakness: A dog affected by mouldy cheese poisoning may appear unusually tired, lacking energy, and weak.
  3. Lack of Appetite: Loss of appetite is a common sign of digestive disturbances caused by mouldy cheese ingestion.
  4. Behavioural Changes: Dogs might exhibit abnormal behaviour, such as increased irritability, restlessness, or aggression.
  5. Neurological Symptoms: In severe cases, neurological symptoms may arise, including tremors, seizures, disorientation, and difficulty walking.

How Much Mouldy Cheese is a Life-Threatening Dose?

The exact amount of mouldy cheese that can be considered life-threatening to a dog depends on various factors, including the dog’s size, overall health, and the specific mould strain present. Even a small amount of mouldy cheese can contain enough mycotoxins to cause harm. As a rule of thumb, it’s best to prevent dogs from consuming any amount of mouldy cheese.

How is Mouldy Cheese Poisoning Treated?

The treatment for mouldy cheese poisoning in dogs depends on the severity of the symptoms and the specific toxins involved. Veterinary treatment may include:

  1. Stabilization: If your dog is experiencing severe symptoms, such as seizures or difficulty breathing, immediate stabilization measures will be taken to ensure their safety and comfort.
  2. Decontamination: The veterinarian may induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal to limit the absorption of toxins in the gastrointestinal tract (note: do not attempt this without guidance from a trained vet).
  3. Supportive Care: Dogs affected by mouldy cheese poisoning may require intravenous fluids to maintain hydration and correct electrolyte imbalances. Additional supportive measures, such as anti-nausea medication or liver protectants, may also be employed.
  4. Symptomatic Treatment: Depending on the symptoms, your veterinarian may prescribe medications to control seizures, manage gastrointestinal upset, or address other specific issues.
  5. Monitoring and Follow-up: Your dog will be closely monitored during the treatment process. Once stabilized, they may require follow-up visits to ensure their recovery progresses as expected.

Can Some Dogs Eat Mouldy Cheese?

While it’s true that some dogs may consume mouldy cheese without immediate adverse effects, it doesn’t mean it’s safe or recommended. Each dog’s tolerance to mouldy cheese can vary, but the risks associated with mycotoxin ingestion remain the same for all dogs. It’s best to err on the side of caution and avoid feeding any amount of mouldy cheese to your canine companion.

Alternatives to Mouldy Cheese for Dogs

Fortunately, there are plenty of safe and healthy food options that you can offer your dog instead of mouldy cheese. Consider the following alternatives:

  1. Plain Cheese: Opt for plain, non-mouldy cheese varieties that are safe for dogs, such as cheddar or mozzarella. Remember to offer it in moderation, as some dogs may have lactose intolerance.
  2. Dog-Specific Treats: Explore the wide range of commercially available dog treats made specifically with their nutritional needs in mind. Look for options that are free from harmful ingredients and preservatives.
  3. Fresh Fruits and Vegetables: Many dogs enjoy fruits and vegetables as treats. Offer small portions of dog-friendly options like sliced apples, carrots, or blueberries. Always research which fruits and vegetables are safe for dogs and introduce them gradually.
  4. Protein Sources: Lean meats, such as cooked chicken or turkey, can be a tasty and nutritious treat for dogs. Ensure that the meat is boneless, well-cooked, and free from seasonings or additives.

While dogs can enjoy a wide variety of foods as part of a balanced and healthy diet, mouldy cheese should never be included. The presence of mould and mycotoxins in mouldy cheese can pose significant risks to your dog’s health, leading to gastrointestinal disturbances, toxicity symptoms, and potential long-term damage. It’s essential to prioritize your dog’s well-being and make informed decisions about their diet.

If you suspect that your dog has consumed mouldy cheese, promptly contact your veterinarian for guidance. They will be able to assess the situation and provide appropriate advice and treatment if necessary. Remember, prevention is always better than cure, so ensure that mouldy cheese is inaccessible to your dog to avoid any potential risks.

Can Dogs Eat Mouldy Cheese?